Gatecrasher was Sheffield’s most famous nightclub, housed in the 1910 built Roper & Wreaks building on Matilda Street. The club first opened in 1996 and was originally named ‘The Republic’ and subsequently changed to Gatecrasher in 2003 following a £1.5million refurbishment.
Sadly in June 2007 the nightclub caught fire and partially collapsed. Sheffield council officials really wanted to save the historic building, however structural engineers confirmed that the building was beyond repair and that any attempt to restore the building would be unsafe.
“The music, the lights, the spirit of the people. We will always remember you”A poignant quote left at the scene of the charred remains of the former Gatecrasher nightclub.
Fast forward to summer 2016 and the site is now home to a new £11million development which has seen the old site transform into a six storey building containing fantastic student apartments and studios for over 240 students. The building also hosts its own membership free gym, cinema room, communal areas where students can play table tennis/table football and also has a designated study platform.
There are shops and offices at ground level and the apartment block has an environmentally friendly roof which is part of the community heat and power scheme linked to the Bernard Road incinerator.
The internal courtyard pays tribute to the sites musical heritage as there is a paved and grass record turntable feature finished with a concrete ‘arm’.
We began work on the development at the end of May 2016 with completion in August 2016. We fitted the majority of the flooring throughout the development including all communal areas, staircases, apartments and some of the studios. Our supplier throughout the project was Burmatex.
This has been a great project to be part of, given the history of the site and we are glad that we have been able to put our ‘professional stamp’ on the development.